President: Chris Black
Hi I’m Chris, the 2019/21 President of the Students’ Union.
I’m originally from down the road, growing up in Bartley Green and going to school in the area before coming to Newman to study Sport and Exercise Psychology.
As President I lead the Executive Committee and lead on all things academic. I sit on several University committees to ensure student voice is heard at all levels, as well as chairing the SU Board of Trustees.
My main focuses for the year are on; Union Transparency, Student Feedback and Putting Newman on the Map! This is detailed below!
If you have any questions or queries or want to know how to get more involved with the SU, pop in and say hello!
Phone: 0121 483 1181 (Ext: 2489)
Job Description (summary)
All Officers are responsible for the day to day running and management of the Union as an organisation, including but not limited to: ensuring it complies with the law and relevant acts, in particular the Education and Charity Acts, funding and budget monitoring, compliance with Health and Safety legislation, ensuring Union Policies and Procedures are adhered to and representing students. All Officers are also required to be actively involved in collective work and be willing to accept work at the request of an appropriate body.
President (Sabbatical role)
The Newman Students' Union President represents 2800 students from a variety of backgrounds with a diverse range of wants and needs. The President is responsible for leading the Executive team, challenging, motivating and encouraging them to achieve the best results in all work. They will also be expected to take the lead with organising and training Course Reps and running the election process. They are also responsible for staffing and health and safety in particular within the organisation.
A full job description can be found in the Newman Students' Union Constitution - Bye Law 1
• I will conduct a full review of all NSU Democracy process including the Executive Officer Elections and Officer Scrutiny to better represent Newman students and to encourage more students to get involved with the Students’ Union.
• To ensure the Students’ Union Office is considered a safe and accessible space for all students whenever they need it.I will supplement this by aiming for all Union staff to be Mental Health First Aid Trained and all Staff and Officers to undertake Equality and Diversity Training.
• President Blogs - I will aim to write and distribute a monthly update blog of what I and the Vice-President have been doing to always keep students in the loop!
• Lobby the University to place students in all University Task Groups and as many University Committees to make sure more voices than just mine and the Vice-President are heard by the University.
• Deliver my vision for a 21st century Academic Feedback System that suits the needs of Newman’s students, and doesn’t just follow what every other SU does. We need a Feedback System that benefits Newman Students that doesn’t leave students waiting weeks for answers to their concerns.
• To utilise the new officer hour’s structure in the Students’ Union to make sure I am available more often for students, including one evening per week and occasional weekends, to give every student the opportunity to feedback to the SU face to face.
• I will lobby the University to be much more transparent of what student fees are spent on and to release a document explain where your fees go.
Putting Newman on the map!
• I will work to increase the collaboration of Newman Students’ Union and the other four Birmingham Students’ Unions, while forming relationships with other regional universities such as University of Wolverhampton and University of Worcester.
• To support each executive officer to hold cross-over events with other local Universities based on topics within their remits.
• I will work to increase the profile of the Union to potential employers working with the Universities Enterprise Department to source more opportunities for students.